DURATION: 64 min.
At the Delta of the Niger River in Nigeria, where a vast proportion of the planet's oil is excavated, bomb attacks, abductions and murders form part of the daily routine.The documentary portrays the image of "development", as giant multinational petroleum companies would define it. Petroleum leaks in the River destroy the flora and fauna, poison the food chain and consequently wipe out the 27 million indigenous people of the area - the Ijaws, the Ogoni and the Itsekiris.
The inhabitants dare to ask the self-evident, they demand an end to it. As a response they are being massively and brutally attacked by special forces of the army and the police, which are armed by the oil companies. On the river the camera meets militia of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta-MEND- and, for the first time, presents to the world shattering images of their speed boat patrols and heavy weaponry.
The Delta of Niger is a lost paradise. As the documentary reveals, it is a place where despite the natural beauty, contemporary "globalized" hell prevails.
Written, Produced & Directed by Yorgos Avgeropoulos / Research Coordinator: Apostolis Kaparoudakis / Production Manager: Anastasia Skoubri / Director of Photography: Yiannis Avgeropoulos / Editing: Dimitris Nikolopoulos, Meletis Pongkas / Original Music by Yiannis Paxevanis / Graphics: Sakis Palpanas / A Small Planet production for Greek Public Television ERT © 2006 – 2007
Original shooting format: HD 720p / Aspect Ratio: 16:9 PAL / Languages: English, Ijaw, Greek / Subtitles: Greek, English, French / Available Versions: Greek, English, French, International
- FIPA D'ARGENT / Festival International des Programmes Audiovisuels (FIPA) / Biarritz, France / February 2007
- GRAN PREMIO PER IL MEGLIOR FILM / EcoVision Film Festival / Palermo, Italy / June 2007
- JUNIOR JURY AWARD / 5th International Film Festival and Forum on Human Rights (FIFDH) / Geneva, Switzerland / March 2007
- SPECIAL MENTION / Cinemabiente – Environmental Film Festival / Torino, Italy / October 2007
- BEST FEATURE FILM AWARD / X FICA — Festival International de Cinema e Video Ambiental / Goiania, Brazil / June 2008
- BEST ECOLOGICAL FILM / 6th International Festival of Maritime and Adventure / St. Petersburg, Russia / April 2009
- BEST ECOLOGICAL FILM – “Napa Sonoma” Wine Country Film Festival / California, USA / April 2008
- SPECIAL MENTION / 7th Ecocinema International Film Festival / Pireaus, Greece / February 2008